Clearing out a building’s gutters is a necessary and important task. While Gutters are a small part of your home, they play a BIG role in its protection. Rain gutters protect your home’s exterior walls and foundation from exposure to moisture.
However, over time, leaves, twigs, and other debris can clog up gutters and prevent water from flowing freely through them. This can cause water to back up and overflow onto your home’s exterior walls or foundation, which can result in serious damage.
No matter the type of gutters you have, maintenance is crucial. While the frequency of cleaning may vary based on the location of your home and the type of trees in your yard, most gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year.
Importance Of Regular Gutter Cleaning
Clogged and malfunctioning gutters can result in the flooding of basements, the destruction of landscapes, and the deterioration of a home’s foundation.
In some cases, gutters that are not properly maintained can even lead to pest infestations and mould growth.
Here are four reasons why you should make sure to keep your gutters clean and in good working condition:
1. To Prevent Water Damage
Water damage is one of the most common and costly problems that homeowners face. When gutters are clogged, water can overflow and spill out onto your home’s exterior walls, windows, doors, and foundation. This causes cracking, rot and other damage that is expensive to repair.
2. To Protect Your Landscaping and Garden
Gutters also play an important role in protecting your landscaping from water damage. When gutters are clogged, water can overflow and spill out onto your lawn and garden, causing plants and grass to die. In addition, standing water attracts insects, which can be a nuisance.
3. To Prevent Pest Infestations
Gutters that are not properly maintained can provide a perfect breeding ground for pests such as mosquitoes, cockroaches, and rodents. These pests can also carry diseases that can be harmful to your family’s health. In addition, some pests, such as termites, can cause serious damage to your roof and home.
4. To Prevent Mold Growth
Clogged gutters create a dark and damp environment where mold and mildew can thrive. In addition to being unsightly, mould can cause extensive damage if left unchecked. By removing dirt and debris from your gutters you prevent the mould from eating away at your gutters and potentially causing serious damage to your home.
Gutter Cleaning Tips You Should Know
If you have noticed that your gutters are leaking or you have plants and leaves growing from your roof, it is time to give them a good cleaning.
Cleaning and clearing gutters may seem like a daunting task, but it does not have to be. By following the following gutter cleaning tips you can get the job done quickly, easily and safely.
1. Use The Right Tools
One of the most important gutter cleaning tips is to use the right tools. Depending on the type of gutters you have, you will need a number of different tools to help you effectively clean your roof and gutters. These include:
- Gloves: This will help keep your hands clean, as well as protect them from dirt, debris and sharp edges.
- Trowel: This is a must-have tool for removing leaves and debris from your gutters and can help speed up cleaning as well.
- Bucket: A bucket will come in handy for collecting debris and leaves as you clean.
- Ladder: A ladder is necessary for reaching high gutters and roofs. However, this can be dangerous with the risk of falling and injury.
- Rake and Broom: A rake and broom can be used to remove large amounts of leaves and debris from your gutters.
- Goggles: Goggles is used to protect your eyes from dirt and debris that may splash into your face. This will also
- Garbage Bag: Garbage bags will make cleanup much easier as you can simply collect the debris in the bag and then dispose of it.
Safety is essential when cleaning gutters. This prevents injury from falls as well as protects the property around you from damage.
To be safe when cleaning gutters, always:
- Wear gloves and protective clothing: This will help keep your hands and clothes clean as well as protect you from sharp edges and debris.
- Use a ladder: A ladder is necessary for reaching high gutters. However, this can be dangerous with the risk of falling
- Don’t stand on gutters: Gutters are not designed to support the weight of a person and can easily collapse, causing injury.
- Be aware of the weather: Cleaning gutters in cold or wet weather can be slippery and dangerous. It is best to wait for a sunny day to clean your gutters.
3. Regular Cleaning
The best way to ensure that your gutters are effective is to clean and clear them out regularly. This will prevent leaves and debris from building up and causing problems.
How often you need to clean your gutters will depend on the location of your property, the number of trees and plants surrounding your home, and the type of gutters you have.
For most homes, it is recommended to clean gutters at least twice a year. This will ensure your gutters are clear and functioning properly as well as give you the opportunity to identify any potential problems early on.
It is also important to clear your gutters after large storms as this is when they are most likely to be blocked with debris.
4. Hire A Professional
One of the biggest gutter cleaning tips for jobs of any size is to hire a professional. While tempting to take on your gutters yourself, professional gutter cleaners have the experience and equipment to get the job done quickly, easily and safely!
Additionally, gutter cleaning professionals will also be able to identify any potential problems with your gutters or roof and can offer advice on how to best fix them. This also ensures that your gutters are cleaned without the risk of damage or accidents.
Ready To Protect Your Investment?
Gutter cleaning does not have to be a dreaded task. By following the above tips, you can quickly and easily clean your gutters, ensuring they are clear and functioning properly. For peace of mind and safety, consider hiring a professional to do the job for you!
Water Attack Pressure Washing are your go-to gutter cleaning professional! With years of experience, we have the experience and equipment to get your gutters cleaned quickly, easily and safely.
If your gutters are in need of a clean, contact us today. We offer tailored gutter cleaning estimates to ensure you remain informed and in control throughout the entire process!